Checking some Zip disks

Last night I finished listening to Walter Isaacson’s, “The Innovators,” audiobook (2014). Instead of listening to books from the Dune franchise I have been listening to non-fiction efforts recently before going to bed. 

My internet browsing has been rather aimless this weekend. I keep checking a variety of news sites hoping for better news. This effort seems misguided, but it was oddly reactionary to a year of ineffable debacles. 

My next effort for the day is going to be to plugin this new USB to IDE cable to see if my classic Zip 250 drive from my Lian Li cube computer case will work. This is all part of an adventure to see what is on the five Zip 250 disks sitting on my desk. Not knowing what was on the disks has been bothering me since they arrived on my desk. Dealing with legacy storage media is increasingly challenging. Now that things are going to the cloud and physical storage is generally a problem for cloud providers to deal with that older storage media is increasingly becoming harder and harder to manage.  

Cable used: StarTech USB3SSATAIDE USB to SATA IDE Adapter

Note: This adapter came with a stand alone power supply for the drive being connected. Keep in mind that this was extremely helpful to plug in the Zip 250 drive with power.    

Transfer update:

Zip 250 disk 1: It had files from 2008 and only two of them failed to transfer. Given that it has been about 12 years since the disk has been in a drive that is not bad. 

Zip 100 disk 2: This was just some garbage software backups from 2002. This disk was totally useless, but the data did transfer off of it without any issues. That was surprising given that it was 6 years older than the disk with two file failures. 

Zip 250 disk 3: The only file on this disk was a 4kb readme.txt from 1999. I mean obviously it had to be opened. It contained the, “Getting the Most out of Your Zip Disks,” instructions. 

Zip 100 disk 4: This was just a bunch of 2002 documents related to coursework 

Zip 250 disk 5: Strangely enough this disk was a different batch of 2002 and 2003 coursework documents.  

Documents were backed up and then I ran the “Permanently erase with Webroot” command.